Buying Guide: Dishwashers
The dishwasher is one of the hardest working appliances in the kitchen. It is designed to do what you don’t want to do: clean even the toughest baked-on food.
What Should I Know About Dishwashers?
- Many models can boost water temperature for better cleaning
- Some models position wash arms and water jets strategically to target the dirtiest dishes.
- Dishwashers have gotten much quieter. Every manufacturer’s line contains models that range from quiet to near silent.
- Even if you have a small kitchen, there’s a dishwasher for you. Slim models take up less undercounter space, as do dishwasher drawers.
Before You Buy
- When you are looking for a new dishwasher, you may want to bring in a few plates and bowls to test in different models to make sure the dishwasher you choose will work with your current dinnerware.
- Some dishwashers have flexible tines or adjustable upper racks that allow you to make adjustments, while others have fixed racking that doesn’t allow much flexibility.
- A dishwasher that proudly displays the Energy Star symbol will save money and energy.
- Some dishwashers have low water features or ‘quick wash’ options, which are handy if you’re on metered water use. Or, if your electricity usage is calculated on time-of-use rates, you can choose a dishwasher with a ‘delay start’ option: you can set the dishwasher to wash later when energy is cheaper.
- The amount and types of wash cycles you need depends on your lifestyle.
- Light, Regular, Pots & Pans and Econo settings should meet your basic requirements.
- Quick Wash can give you an efficient wash using less time than Regular Wash.
- Sanitize Wash provides high heat to help eliminate 99.9% of bacteria while enhance your drying results.
- Enhanced cycles such as Glass or Stemware and Rinse are features you may want to inquire about.
- If you want a dishwasher interior that is not only beautiful but more durable, hygienic and stain resistant than plastic, you can choose a dishwasher with a stainless steel interior.
Are you unsure about the benefits of adjustable racks and tines, cutlery trays, half-washes, or enhanced cycles? Ask a Trail Representative how these features make the job of washing dishes a little more convenient.
Return to Buying Guide Main Menu