Washer Buying Guide
Trail AppliancesChoose Store
|Monday||7:00 am - 7:00 pm|
|Tuesday||7:00 am - 7:00 pm|
|Wednesday||7:00 am - 7:00 pm|
|Thursday||7:00 am - 7:00 pm|
|Friday||7:00 am - 7:00 pm|
|Saturday||7:00 am - 7:00 pm|
|Sunday||7:00 am - 7:00 pm|
|Mon - Fri||9:00 am - 5:30 pm|
|Saturday||9:00 am - 5:00 pm|
Laundry is a critical part of a functioning household. The right washer and dryer will make your life easier and can help you save money, reduce energy consumption and extend the life of your clothing.
Washer and dryer capacity are rated in either I.E.C (European standard) or D.O.E. (U.S. Department of Energy). For example, a washer with a 5.0 cu. ft. I.E.C capacity would be approximately 4.3 cu. ft. D.O.E. Make sure you’re comparing laundry using the same rating system.
Also note that many washers and dryers don’t come with hoses. You’ll need to purchase them separately.
Traditional Top Load Washers use an agitator that extends up through the middle of the wash basket. The agitator moves clothes around, while the wash basket spins to clean clothes and extract water.
High Efficiency Top Load Washers are more energy efficient and use less water than traditional Top Loaders. An impeller creates turbulent currents to move the clothes through the water, cleaning your clothes with minimal force to preserve them longer.
Front Load Washers are known for energy efficiency because they use only a third of the water a Top Loader uses. Front Load washers don’t have an agitator taking up room so they allow for larger loads.
Dryers use hot air to absorb moisture from your clothes while they’re being tumbled. Traditional tumble dryers vent the hot air outside. Heat Pump Dryers send the hot air through an evaporator to remove the moisture and then reheats the remaining air to continue drying your clothes. It’s a more energy-efficient option than traditional tumble dryers.
Dryer Options to Consider:
- Sensor Dry System (also called Moisture Sensor) determines the amount of moisture left in your laundry and adjusts drying time as necessary.
- Steam options on a dryer can help you refresh your clothes by removing odours and reducing wrinkles.
- A Sanitizing Cycle uses high heat or steam to sanitize hard-to-clean items. And if your household has members who suffer from seasonal allergies, sanitizing bedding and clothing will help remove the pollen and dander that has been tracked into your home.
Home & Lifestyle Considerations
Washing machines are most energy-efficient when fully loaded. A 1-2 person household is usually fine with a compact laundry pair. A large family running many loads of laundry per week should consider a laundry pair with a large capacity.
Laundry pairs can often be stacked vertically to save space without compromising capacity. Stacking kits are sold separately.
Check Your Space!
- Allow 4-6” behind the machines for venting and connections.
- Confirm where venting is required.
- Confirm the drain hose is within reach of the washer.
- Ensure you can provide a clear path to the laundry space for delivery.
To simplify this process, Trail has created a laundry checklist that outlines all the steps to take before you receive delivery of your new laundry pair.